- Katatonia is a Swedish metal band formed in Stockholm in 1991 by Jonas Renkse and Anders Nyström
- The band started as a studio-only project for the duo, as an outlet for the band's love of death metal
- Increasing popularity lead them to add more band members for live performances, though outside of the band's founders, the lineup was constantly changing, revolving door of musicians throughout the 1990s, notably including Mikael Åkerfeldt of the band Opeth for a period
- After two death/doom albums, Dance of December Souls (1993) and Brave Murder Day (1996), problems with Renkse's vocal chords coupled with new musical influences lead the band away from the screamed vocals of death metal to a more traditional, melodic form of heavy metal music
- The band released two more albums, Discouraged Ones (1998) and Tonight's Decision (1999), before settling into a stable quintet lineup for all of 2000's
- The band released four more albums with said lineup - Last Fair Deal Gone Down (2001), Viva Emptiness (2003), The Great Cold Distance (2006), and Night Is the New Day (2009), with the band slowly moving away from their metal sound while adding more progressive rock sounds to their work over time
- While lineup changes started up again into the 2010s, Renkse and Nyström persisted, and the band continued to release music, including Dead End Kings (2012) and their most recent, their tenth studio album, The Fall of Hearts, released on May 20, 2016
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.