- Thomas Alan "Tom" Waits is an American singer-songwriter, composer, and actor
|How old is Tom Waits in 2021? / Age: ||71 years
Tom Waits facts
- Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding like "it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car"
- With this trademark growl, his incorporation of pre-rock music styles such as blues, jazz, and vaudeville, and experimental tendencies verging on industrial music, Waits has built up a distinctive musical persona
- He has worked as a composer for movies and musicals and has acted in supporting roles in films, including Paradise Alley and Bram Stoker's Dracula
- He also starred in Jim Jarmusch's 1986 film Down by Law
- He was nominated for an Academy Award for his soundtrack work on One from the Heart
- Waits' lyrics frequently present atmospheric portraits of grotesque, often seedy characters and places, although he has also shown a penchant for more conventional ballads
- He has a cult following and has influenced subsequent songwriters despite having little radio or music video support
- His songs are best-known through cover versions by more commercial artists: "Jersey Girl", performed by Bruce Springsteen, "Ol' '55", by the Eagles, and "Downtown Train", by Rod Stewart
- Although Waits' albums have met with mixed commercial success in his native United States, they have occasionally achieved gold album sales status in other countries
- He has been nominated for a number of major music awards and has won Grammy Awards for two albums, Bone Machine and Mule Variations
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.