- South-African Anti-apartheid activist in the '60s and '70s
|Real name:||Stephen Bantu Biko|
|How tall was Steve Biko?||192 cm / 6 ft 4 in||Born:||18 December 1946 Comment |
|When did Steve Biko die? / Died||12 September 1977|
|How many years did Steve Biko live? / Lived||30 years|
|Where was Steve Biko born?||King William's Town, Eastern Cape, South Africa|
|Where did Steve Biko die? / Deathplace ||Pretoria, South Africa|
Who was Steve Biko? / Facts
- His father died when Biko was only 4 year old.
- Student leader - He founded the Black Consciousness Movement (BCM), that mobilized and empowered the black people, his slogan being "black is beautiful"
- Hero - Even though he was not a member of the African National Congress (ANC), he was included in the pantheon of heroes, and his image was even used in campaign posters in South Africa's in 1994
- Activism - He got involved in the National Union of South African Students and has contributed to the establishment of the South African Students' Organisation (SASO), as he thought Black, Indian and Coloured students needed an organization of their own, being elected its first president in 1968. In the '70's he was part of the Durban Movement and he was honorary president of the Black People Convention. In Febrary 1973, the government interdicted him to speak to groups of people, he also could not adress to the pubic in written form or speak with the media.
- Fluent in Xhosa, English, Afrikaans
- Murdered in police custody, he was called a martyr of the anti-apartheid movement. He was interrogated for 22 hours, tortured and beated, until he was sent into a coma. He died because of the brutal treatment on 12 September 1977. There were over 10,000 people present at his funderal
- Recognition - In 2004, he was voted 13th in the SABC3's Great South Africans
- Movie - Cry Freedom, a film dedicated to Steve Biko's life was released in 1987, having Denzel Washington as main character. The movie was nominated for 3 Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTA Awards and many others
- Hospital - There's even a hospital that has his name - The Steve Biko Academic Hospital - located on Dr Savage Rd, Pretoria, 0002, South Africa, about 800 meters directly north of the Tshwane District Hospital. The main access to the hospital is off Steve Biko Road left at the traffic light into Malan Street.
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
- Brownlee Primary School
- Charles Morgan Higher Primary School
- Lovedale High School - he was expelled for his political views
- St. Francis College, Mariannhill, Natal
- Black is beautiful
- Black Consciousness is an attitude of the mind and a way of life, the most positive call to emanate from the black world for a long time.
- A people without a positive history is like a vehicle without an engine.
- Tradition has it that whenever a group of people has tasted the lovely fruits of wealth, security, and prestige, it begins to find it more comfortable to believe in the obvious lie and accept that it alone is entitled to privilege.
- Apartheid - both petty and grand - is obviously evil. Nothing can justify the arrogant assumption that a clique of foreigners has the right to decide on the lives of a majority.
- Merely by describing yourself as black you have started on a road towards emancipation, you have committed yourself to fight against all forces that seek to use your blackness as a stamp that marks you out as a subservient being.
- You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when you are dead, you can't care anyway.
- I would describe and I have described myself to people who ask as a freedom fighter.
- The revolutionary sees his task as liberation not only of the oppressed but also of the oppressor. Happiness can never truly exist in a state of tension.
Ntsiki Mashalaba, Dr Mamphela Ramphele,
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
Last update: 18 February 2017
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!