- He was an Austrian philosopher, social reformer, architect and esotericist
|Real name:||Rudolf Joseph Lorenz Steiner||Born:||27 February 1861 Comment |
|When did Rudolf Steiner die? / Died||30 March 1925|
|How many years did Rudolf Steiner live? / Lived||64 years|
|Where was Rudolf Steiner born?||Hungary, Austrian Empire|
|Where did Rudolf Steiner die? / Deathplace ||Dornach, Switzerland|
Who was Rudolf Steiner? / Facts
- Rise to fame - at the end of the nineteenth century as a literary critic
- Author of philosophical works such as The Philosophy of Freedom
- At the beginning of the twentieth century he founded an esoteric spiritual movement, anthroposophy, with roots in German idealist philosophy and theosophy; other influences include Goethean science and Rosicrucianism
- In the first phase, he attempted to find a synthesis between science and spirituality
- His philosophical work of these years, which he termed "spiritual science", sought to apply the clarity of thinking characteristic of Western philosophy to spiritual questions, differentiating this approach from what he considered to be vaguer approaches to mysticism
- In a second phase, beginning around 1907, he began working collaboratively in a variety of artistic media, including drama, the movement arts (developing a new artistic form, eurythmy) and architecture, culminating in the building of the Goetheanum, a cultural centre to house all the arts
- In the third phase of his work, beginning after World War I, Steiner worked to establish various practical endeavors, including Waldorf education, biodynamic agriculture, and anthroposophical medicine
- He advocated a form of ethical individualism, to which he later brought a more explicitly spiritual approach
- He based his epistemology on Johann Wolfgang Goethe's world view, in which "Thinking… is no more and no less an organ of perception than the eye or ear
- Just as the eye perceives colours and the ear sounds, so thinking perceives ideas
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
Last update: 17 May 2019
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!