- Nicolas Sarkozy is a French politician who served as the President of France from 16 May 2007 until 15 May 2012
- Before his presidency, he was the leader of the Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) party
Who is Nicolas Sarkozy? / Facts
- During Jacques Chirac's second presidential term he served as Minister of the Interior except between March 2004 and May 2005 when he was minister of Finances
- Sarkozy was also mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine, one of the wealthiest communes of France, from 1983 to 2002
- He was Minister of the Budget in the government of Édouard Balladur (1993-95) during François Mitterrand's last term
- During his term, he faced the late-2000s financial crisis (followed by the recession and the debt crisis caused by it) and the Arab Spring (especially in Tunisia, Libya, and Syria)
- He married Italian-French singer-songwriter Carla Bruni on 2 February 2008 at the Élysée Palace in Paris
- In foreign affairs, Sarkozy promised a strengthening of the entente cordiale with the United Kingdom and closer cooperation with the United States
- In the 2012 election, the Socialist François Hollande defeated Sarkozy by a margin of 3.2 percentage points (or 1,139,983 votes)
- After leaving the Presidential office, Sarkozy vowed to retire from public life before coming back in September 2014, being subsequently reelected as UMP leader (renamed The Republicans in 2015)
- On 2 July 2014, Sarkozy was charged with corruption by French prosecutors
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
Last update: 02 July 2020
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!