- Miranda Sings is a fictional character, developed on the Internet, created in 2008 and portrayed by American comedian, actress and YouTube personality Colleen Ballinger
- Ballinger displays videos of the comically talentless, egotistical, misguided and quirky character on her YouTube channel
Who is Miranda Sings? / Facts
- In these videos, the eccentric, narcissistic, yet endearing character sings and dances badly, gives inept "tutorials", recounts her daily activities, discusses current events that she often misunderstands, collaborates with other YouTubers, and rants about her critics, reading examples of hate mail directed at the character on social media; she responds to them with her catchphrase: "Haters Back Off!"
- Ballinger created the character as a satire of bad but arrogant singers who believe that posting their videos on YouTube will lead to them breaking into show business
- As of October 2016, the Miranda Sings YouTube channel had surpassed 1.1 billion views and 7 million subscribers, and Miranda has more than 5 million Instagram followers
- Miranda has been ranked the 7th "most popular" YouTube personality by Daily American and the channel was ranked No. 38 of all time by NewMediaRockstars
- The character also has an active presence on other social media
- Since 2009, in addition to her internet videos, Ballinger has regularly presented live comedy acts, in character as Miranda Sings, at first in cabaret spaces and later in theaters in New York, London, and other cities in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia and elsewhere
- Her acts include Miranda's signature off-key singing of pop music hits and show tunes, with introductions focusing on the character's backstory
- Her delivery is full of malapropisms, mondegreens and spoonerisms, and the acts incorporate interaction with audience volunteers, giving a "voice lesson" to, or singing a duet with, Broadway or other musical celebrities, reading hate mail, and singing while being stabbed through the neck in her "magic trick"
- The character has appeared in web series, interviews and an episode of the TV show Victorious
- In 2014, she guest-starred in character on an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld and appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- In July 2015, she released a New York Times #1 best-selling book, written in Miranda's voice, titled Selp-Helf
- Miranda is the main character in the 2016 Netflix original series Haters Back Off
- Ballinger won a Teen Choice Award and a Streamy Award for her Miranda videos
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
Last update: 16 October 2020
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!