- Lewis (Scottish Gaelic: Leòdhas, pronounced [ʎɔː
Lewis & Pearl ScentShop facts
- əs̪], also Isle of Lewis) is the northern part of Lewis and Harris, the largest island of the Western Isles or Outer Hebrides (an archipelago) of Scotland
- The total area of Lewis is 683 square miles (1,770 km2)
- Lewis is, in general, the lower lying part of the island, with the other part, Harris, being more mountainous
- The flatter, more fertile land means Lewis contains the largest settlement, Stornoway, and three-quarters of the population of the Western Isles
- Beyond human habitation, the island's diverse habitats are home to an assortment of flora and fauna, such as the golden eagle, red deer and seals and are recognised in a number of conservation areas
- Lewis is of Presbyterian tradition with a rich history, having once been part of the Norse Kingdom of Mann and the Isles
- Today, life is very different from elsewhere in Scotland with Sabbath observance, the Gaelic language and peat cutting retaining more importance than elsewhere
- Lewis has a rich cultural heritage as can be seen from its myths and legends as well as the local literary and musical traditions
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
Other celebrities: Seether, Finding Favour, Cumbia, Nat & Alex Wolff, Belle and Sebastian, Deutsches Museum, Parokya ni Edgar, Amor Electro, Washington State History Museum, Kid Ink
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!