- John Legend is an American singer, songwriter, producer, actor, philanthropist and social activist
- He's a ten-time Grammy Award winning recording artist
- He was named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people
- Finde more facts about John Legend below
|Real name:||John Roger Stephens|
|How tall is John Legend?||175 cm / 5 ft 9 in|
|Weight|| 71 kg / 157 lbs||Born:||28 December 1978 |
|How old is John Legend in 2020? / Age: ||41 years|
|Where was John Legend born?||Springfield, Ohio, U.S.A.|
|Residence:||Beverly Hills, California, U.S.A.|
Net worth 2020 (estimated)
|How much is John Legend worth?||$75,000,000|
|Eyes color:||Dark brown|
Who is John Legend? / Facts
- Early life - John is one of four children of Phyllis Elaine (née Lloyd), a seamstress, and Ronald Lamar Stephens, a factory worker at International Harvester.
His father was a drummer, while "his mother sang and directed the church choir, and his grandmother was the church organist".
In 2004, John stated that his parents were divorced for 12 years before reuniting.
John was homeschooled by his mother.
He began playing the piano at age 4.
At the age of 7, he performed with his church choir.
Because of his academic talent, he skipped two grades.
At the age of 12, John attended Springfield North High School, from which he graduated as salutatorian of his class 4 years later.
He was offered admission to Harvard University and scholarships to Georgetown University and Morehouse College.
John ultimately decided to attend the University of Pennsylvania.
During college, he served as the president and musical director of the co-ed jazz and pop a cappella group The Counterparts.
John graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor's degree in English with an emphasis on African-American literature in 1999.
- Debut album - Prior to the release of John's debut album, Get Lifted, (2004) he had collaborated with already established artists and signed to Kanye West's GOOD Music.
It sold over three million copies all over the world and earned 8 Grammy nominations and 3 wins for Best New Artist, Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B album.
- Other albums - His next album - Once Again (2006) earned RIAA platinum certification and a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.
The Wake Up! album (2010) was nominated for 5 Grammy Awards and won Best R&B Album, Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B song.
- Collaborations - Prior to the release of John's debut album, his career gained momentum through a series of successful collaborations with already established artists.
John has sung on Jay-Z's "Encore", Alicia Keys's "You Don't Know My Name", Dilated Peoples' "This Way", Slum Village's "Selfish", Fort Minor's "High Road", and played piano on Lauryn Hill's "Everything Is Everything".
- Top hits - His single "All of Me" from his 4th studio album Love in the Future (2013) was a Billboard Hot 100 number-one hit.
- Honors and awards - In 2007, John received the Hal David Starlight Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
In total, he has won ten Grammy Awards, one Golden Globe Award, and one Academy Award.
John won the Academy Award for Best Original Song and Golden Globe Award in 2015 for co-writing the song "Glory" from the film Selma.
- Theatre - In 2017, John received a Tony Award for co-producing Jitney for the Broadway stage.
- Acting - In 2018, he portrayed Jesus Christ in NBC's adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar.
John received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for his acting role, and won for his role as a producer of the show, making him one of 15 people and the first black man to have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony (EGOT).
He is also the second youngest person to have achieved this milestone.
- The Voice - Since 2019, John has been featured as a coach on The Voice, winning the 16th season.
- Latest album - His new album Bigger Love is to be released June 19th, 2020.
- Activism - In 2007, John launched the Show Me campaign that is fighting poverty.
He is part of Boards of The Education Equality Project, Teach for America, and the Harlem Village Academies.
He received in 2010 the BET Humanitarian of the Year award.
In 2009 John received the CARE Humanitarian Award for Global Change.
In 2009 he won the Africare’s Bishop John T. Walker Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award.
- Personal life - John met model Chrissy Teigen in 2006 when she starred in the music video for his song "Stereo".
They became engaged in December 2011 and were married on September 14, 2013, in Como, Italy.
The 2013 song "All of Me" was written and is dedicated to her; the music video was reportedly displayed at their wedding.
The couple had a daughter, Luna, in April 2016 and a son, Miles, in May 2018.
Both children were conceived via in vitro fertilization.
- Trivia- On a very public ancestry reveal on the PBS series Finding Your Roots John is 64% African, 32% European and 4% Native American.
- Social media stats as of May 2020:
- 12.3M followers on Facebook
- 6M subscribers on YouTube
- 12.6M followers on Instagram
- 13.4M followers on Twitter
- 19.6M monthly listeners on Spotify
- Springfield North High School, Ohio, U.S.A.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, U.S.A.
I want to move people.
Experience is a great teacher.
Soul is about authenticity. Soul is about finding the things in your life that are real and pure.
Sometimes there's that perfect moment when the crowd, the music, the energy of the room come together in a way that brings me to tears.
To have the chance to see your music be elevated and to have almost universally positive response to that music, makes me feel better every day. I feel more confident and inspired, and that's fun.
Musicians are in-season all the time.
I'm craving more soul, I'm craving more truth, I'm craving more socially - just people that are aware of what's going on in the world.
As a young black boy, it made me proud to see black leaders that did something amazing and made the world change.
John Legend Social Media Accounts
Dilated Peoples, Slum Village, Fort Minor,
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
Last update: 27 May 2020
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!