- Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien OBE , known professionally as Dusty Springfield, was an English pop singer and record producer whose career extended from the late 1950s to the 1990s
|Born:||16 April 1939 Comment |
|When did Dusty Springfield die? / Died||02 March 1999|
|How many years did Dusty Springfield live? / Lived||59 years|
Dusty Springfield facts
- With her distinctive sensual mezzo-soprano sound, she was an important blue-eyed soul singer and at her peak was one of the most successful British female performers, with six top 20 singles on the United States Billboard Hot 100 and sixteen on the United Kingdom Singles Chart from 1963 to 1989
- She was a member of both the US Rock and Roll and UK Music Halls of Fame
- International polls have named Springfield among the best female rock artists of all time
- Her image, supported by a peroxide blonde bouffant hairstyle, evening gowns, and heavy make-up, as well as her flamboyant performances made her an icon of the Swinging Sixties
- Born in West Hampstead, London to a family that enjoyed music, Springfield learned to sing at home
- In 1958 she joined her first professional group, The Lana Sisters, and two years later formed a pop-folk vocal trio, The Springfields, with her brother Tom
- Her solo career began in 1963 with the upbeat pop hit, "I Only Want to Be with You"
- Among the hits that followed were "Wishin' and Hopin' " (1964), "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" (1964), "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" (1966), and "Son of a Preacher Man" (1968)
- As a fan of US pop music, she brought many little-known soul singers to the attention of a wider UK record-buying audience by hosting the first national TV performance of many top-selling Motown artists beginning in 1965
- Although she was never considered a Northern Soul artist in her own right, her efforts contributed a great deal to the formation of the genre as a result
Bio / wiki sources: Wikipedia, accounts on social media, content from our users.
Info source: Wikipedia, social media accounts, users content.
We do our best for being accurate. If something seems incorrect, please contact us!